Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Great Sewn Potholder Swap of 2010

My potholders for the Great Sewn Potholder Swap of 2010.

Again the top was sewn with the sewing machine and the back was sewn by hand on and the embroidery was by hand.

Fabric: 100% cotton fabric
Thread: Coats Cotton All purpose thread
Batting: one layer cotton batting, one layer Insul-Bright Thermal Batting, and then another layer of cotton batting.
Pattern: My own creation.
Size: 10" x 10"


The middle square is sewn strips of fabric, a border of black, then the blues that were used in the stripes are used for the second set of borders, and then the greens for the third border. The black edge is part of the back folded over and sewn with an invisible stitching.
Photobucket


This is the Herringbone embroidery I did to secure the layers in the corners and then I sewed in the ditch around the inside of the black border to secure things.
Photobucket


You can see the pattern of the stitching on the back of the potholders.
Photobucket



I had a lot of fun making these. I hope she likes them, the boy thinks they are a little bright, but I am thinking I need to make myself a pair that is similar cause I love them! I kept tumbling through ideas and finally chose one. I need to make more potholders just so I can work out some of the ideas that I have jumbling around. It was nice to sew and such small things make it not too big of a commitment.

1 comment:

  1. Neat!! I still think this might be what gets me to introduce myself to my sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete