Sunday, October 4, 2009

Deconstruction

So, in reference to the yarn I mentioned the other day. It is FibraNatura's Exquisite Bamboo. It is 77% Bamboo and 23% superwash merino. In the comments,


Kim said...

I would think that 77% bamboo is too much for a successful sock yarn. You could cut the proportions and spin a small amount of the bamboo with additional superwash.


I just passed this up, because my mind immediately went to thinking "I don't have fiber to spin, I already have spun yarn". Now, in my defense, I am use to buying yarn that if it is of multiple fibers, they are blended and then spun as yarn . . . no separation is possible. But as I walked to work in the rain today, the rain is a nice place to think, anyways, I realized that I didn't think this yarn was blended and maybe I could take her advice and split them up.

So, when I got home, I found that the bamboo and the merino are separate singles. Yippee! So, here is my work so far:






I have the skein on my spindle because I am going to deconstruct it. Here it is with the spin/plying to hold the singles together, undone. I am going to take this and separate approximately half to two-thirds of the bamboo out and re-ply it. The merino has two singles that are about as thick as 5 or so of the bamboo singles. There are 18 bamboo singles in the yarn, I am thinking of cutting it down to 5-7 singles of bamboo.

I will most likely end up using the rest of the bamboo singles in some future spinning venture. So thank you very much to Kim, as I think you helped me solve my problem . . . even if it took me a little while to get there! :)

I think these will end up making some perfect little socks for my niece, Justice.

4 comments:

  1. Impressive undertaking! Can't wait to see the results...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love experimenting and hope to see the socks soon. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh...this looks like one of those rabbit hole kind of projects. The kind where you start out surprised at the very idea and then end up seeing possibilities everywhere you look. How fun!

    ReplyDelete