Monday, May 2, 2011

Lacey Thorns

Yarn: Rozetti – Always Dreams

Color: 116-04 (Variegated bright pink)

Content: 75% Acrylic / 25% Wool

Care: Machine wash and dry flat

Needles: US 2 / 2.75mm

Gauge: 7sts per inch

Pattern: Taking inspiration from the Mistletoes pattern.

Modifications: I am using the cast on numbers (20) and the starting foot numbers (40), but everything else changes. The top of the foot pattern is a simple lace stitch pattern called Lace Thorns from the Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns. I start the gusset increases when my heel begins. My gusset stitches increase to 68 stitches total, then the heel turn adds another 8. The heel decreases my stitches down to 48. Lace pattern all around for the small bit of leg and then 2x2 ribbing lined up with the pattern for 6 rows.


I finished the first sock!
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



So you may ask, what is my current obsession with toe-up socks? Well, most toe-up sock patterns I had run into before had short row heels. I hate short row heels for the most part, they do not fit my feet well at all, and there is just too little structure to them. Now obviously I know there are other toe-up heels to do, but I hadn’t really experienced any of them, so I just stuck with my cuff down socks. Now, I am really liking this toe-up heel flap structure and therefore loving toe-up socks a lot more. I think I may be ordering some toe-up sock books here in the near future to find out what other kind of toe-up options I have.

3 comments:

  1. The best fitting toe up heel I've knit so far if Fleegle's instructions. You can find them here:
    http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/leegles-toe-up-no-flap-no-hassle-sock.html

    Best toe up socks I've ever knit, and I've tried many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried a toe-up heel flap. Hmmm...

    That sure is a lovely sock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on a sock kick, aren't you? Someone will have warm feet next winter!

    ReplyDelete