Friday, May 28, 2010

Food Friday - Pies

I personally am not much of a pie person. Never have been. However the boy LOVES pie. We use to buy pies and I would eat a little and he would eat most of it. Now that I cannot eat them with him, he doesn't like to buy a whole pie by himself. So I figured I better learn how to make gluten free pie so he can still have his pie.

I want to be able to make my own pie crust from scratch but at this time cannot afford to buy multiple kinds of flour to do that, so I decided to try a boxed mix.


This is the gluten free mix I decided to try.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

For my record, this is the type of butter I used for the recipe.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

For my record, this is the type of shortening I used.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

I bought a 9" glass pie pan. I rolled the dough out between two sheets of plastic wrap like the box says to do and placed the first on in the bottom of the pan.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

Unfortunately I ran out of plastic wrap so I tried aluminum foil with the top pieces. Uhm, don't do that, it sticks to the aluminum like no ones business.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

I mixed the inside for an apple pie as the back of the box for the pie crust suggested to do. My apples were not baking apples like suggested. They were just a bulk bag of apples we had bought that needed to be used soon.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

The top is now on and I pinched the two layers together and made the slits on the top.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

All baked up.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

It was good, however, the apple mixture could have used some more liquid.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

The boxed mix makes enough for two pies. For the second one I made a mixed berry pie. I used a bag of frozen blueberries, a bag of frozen blackberries, and a can of raspberry pie filling. I cooked the frozen berries over the stove and added about 4 Tbsp cornstarch until they thickened some. I added the canned raspberry filling and let it all mix together.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

This crust was better because the liquid inside the berry mixture helped to not make the crust quite as flaky.
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix

As always, pie is even better with a little vanilla frozen yogurt!
GFP - Perfect Pie Crust Mix


I will admit that I didn't have much faith in this from the get go. I just don't do well with baked goods. This worked out very well. The boy says it's not quite as good as normal pie that you would buy in a bakery, but he said they were better than the frozen pies you buy in the grocery store.

I consider that a compliment. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I would say that is good! I love pie! Pie is pretty much the best dessert there is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I've had good luck with a combination of rice and millet (or sorghum) flours as a replacement for wheat. You need a little extra water, but the crust comes out well, and you only need to buy two flours! If you can have corn, cornmeal also works ok, though too much does lend some flavor to the crust (which I don't mind, but others do). Always good to experiment. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It LOOKS wonderful. I love a very flaky crust...

    ReplyDelete