Friday, April 30, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

I decided to finally make some enchiladas that I can eat. Basically switching to a gluten-free sauce and using corn tortillas instead of flour.

I used this gluten-free Enchilada Sauce. It was good, basically like a salsa. Only thing I would do differently is I would blend the sauce smooth before using it.

I made some rice in the rice maker. This was the rice I used, because it was what I had, it's a favorite. I made one dry cup of rice.
Chicken Enchiladas

I boiled up 3 chicken breasts and then shredded them.
Chicken Enchiladas


I sprayed each pan with PAM and then put down a generous amount of the enchilada sauce.
Chicken Enchiladas


One tablespoon refried beans.
Chicken Enchiladas

About the same in rice.
Chicken Enchiladas

A sprinkle of chicken.
Chicken Enchiladas



Small amount of cheese. It'll ooze into everything anyways.
Chicken Enchiladas

Fill each pan. We made 24 corn enchiladas and ate them the rest of the week. Hey, I am weak and LOVE enchiladas and leftovers. :)
Chicken Enchiladas

Put a generous amount of sauce on top.
Chicken Enchiladas

Sprinkle a light layer of cheese.
Chicken Enchiladas

I add sliced black olives and fresh chopped up tomatoes.
Chicken Enchiladas




Bake at 325 for approximately 30 minutes. I forgot to take a picture after they were done . . . sorry, was hungry!

Thoughts on this:
~As I said, I would blend the sauce, just a preference to help the sauce cover things better.
~I need to learn how to use corn tortillas as they cracked once I set them in the pan while making more.
~About twice as much beans would probably be perfect.

It was delicious. I have to admit, it still surprises me when I alter a dish to make it gluten-free and it is good. I still expect it to be such a pain to be gluten-free. I am definitely being proven wrong. :)

5 comments:

  1. Mmmmm.............that looks so good!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to see the finished, baked goodies. I've never had Enchiladas. I've heard of them, but didn't know how they looked like. That's something I would love to eat as well. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I like a smooth sauce too, for such situations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. Sometimes it's nice to be proven wrong. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you have your own recipe for sauce! And you know how to prevent cracking! You are on your way!!

    ReplyDelete