Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010

In some ways, I am glad to see 2009 go . . . in others, I am not sure that I am really ready to go through 2010.

It didn't start out the way we planned. Icky snow coming through parts of NY, PA, and OH. So, no trip to Ohio. We probably would have made it there okay, but we might have gotten stuck there for longer than we could actually afford/manage to be there. So no go.

My goals for 2009 weren't really accomplished. I did exercise more, but not as much as I wanted to. I wasn't going to craft for gifts, but that lasted about a nano-second. I did not last 365 blogging. Obviously, the longer we live, the more we learn about ourselves and our own capabilities. I thought my 2009 goals were do-able, but failed. I did NOT think I could give up dairy and bread, while I still cheat a little dairy here and there, they don't really exist in my diet anymore.

So hopefully, with what I have learned about myself in 2009, I can make better goals for 2010. I have decided to do things on a more incremental level. Vague goals for the year, precise goals for the month.


Goals--
Health: Exercise more. Become healthier.
January: Exercise every day. Use personalized exercises on Wii Active. I do better
when I am consistent.

Spiritual: Study more. Celebrate more.
January: Research different celebrations for month of January. Celebrate those that feel
"right" to help find my path.

Crafting: Be more diverse. Change your expectations. No holiday crafting.
January: Create a calendar of "a craft a day". Each day will have a craft emphasis, but
will not be a limitation. Work on Pay It Forward gifts.

The first two will most likely not be blogged about here, unless for some reason there is an overlap into my arts/crafts stuff. However, for crafting, I would like to embrace the different things I enjoy doing. So I hope to make up a calendar today for a crafting cycle of days. Each day will have a focus (meaning I want to spend at least 30-60 minutes on it), but it is not limited to that craft. This is to make my experience more diverse, but not make me feel like I am boxed in.

With the "no holiday crafting" this simply means that no one will receive things for holidays, birthdays, etc. I can still make gifts for people, they simply aren't tied to specific days of celebration. This is mostly associated with my problem of finishing things with deadlines. Then the resulting guilt of late presents, presents I don't feel like finishing, presents I would like to start over on but really need to send out, etc. It just creates some negative feelings sometimes towards a gift that shouldn't be full of those things.

Pay It Forward gifts are due before Feb. 4th.


I have a feeling 2010 will be much better than 2009. I hope that I can help make it so.

6 comments:

  1. Your giftees will be thrilled to receive a surprise for 'apparently no reason'.

    You can accomplish your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of vauge overall goals with a specific focus each month. That's a wonderful way to grow over the year and find what works to meet your goals. Good for you, and I look forward to seeing the crafts that are to come in January.

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great approach to the goals! I hope 2010 is a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad the weather canceled your travel plans! Better to be home than stuck out in a snowstorm, though.

    I didn't realize you were both dairy and bread-free...are you gluten intolerant, too? If so, there are some great foodie blogs we should share. =)

    Those look like some great goals! I definitely prefer general guidelines to hard and fast "rules"...my rebellious personality is much less likely to object that way. Happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the trip, Happy 2010 !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Luck with your goals. Sorry you guys weren't able to get out to see the little one, I was wondering about the snow. I hope it is a better year as well.

    ReplyDelete