Friday, December 23, 2011

John's Illusion Scarf

My brother-in-law John asked for a scarf for his birthday.  Since it's nice to have someone appreciate one's craftiness, I had to oblige.  But I knew that I wouldn't be able to knit a whole scarf, especially one for a man over 6 foot, if there wasn't more to it.  He wanted one in colors of the Seahawks. So I decided to go with that theme and decided I would try shadow knitting.  I couldn't find patterns for lettering that I thought would work well, so I designed my own.  This was definitely an interesting experience.

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Color: Limelight & Dark Country Blue
Content: 100% Acrylic
Care: Machine Wash & Dry
Needles: US 5 / 3.75mm
Hook: 3.5mm





Here is a pic just straight down of the detail.
Photobucket

A straight down picture of as much of the scarf as I could.
Photobucket

The scarf is around 7 feet so it's hard to get a good picture of it all, here is a piece of the word SEAHAWKS.
Photobucket

A little better.
Photobucket


Photobucket

A few more attempts to get a good shot of the letters.
Photobucket


Photobucket

Here are some shots of the individual letters.
H
Photobucket

A
Photobucket

S
Photobucket

W
Photobucket

K
Photobucket




I know there is a heaping ton of pictures, but I am quite proud of this scarf.  It turned out well and except for the rolling I wouldn't change a thing.  If I were to to something like this again, I would add a border of another stitch. . . . maybe seed stitch.  I am definitely tempted to try some more illusion/shadow knitting.

6 comments:

  1. He loves it. Bug needs a matching one in pink and green. You know, if you wanted some practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are *SO* talented!! That's just awesome. Wow.

    Happy Christmas Eve! My feet are warm and happy... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! This scarf turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH What a great scarf! My husband would totally wear an Eagles one. I need to stalk you on ravelry - I guess. Hope the gift was well received. g

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rest of my section is so jelous. They asked where I got the great scarf and i told them it was a custom job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really cool. Could totally be a pattern, too, if it's not too hard to customize the letters for other teams.

    ReplyDelete