Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tie-Dye Part 2

The next tie-dye technique we did was Shibori. I am not sure if the names I will give for these are correct or not, but these are the ones my teacher gave the class. I have what the fabric looked like before dyeing and after.


Mokume Shibori(Wood grain):
This is just running stitches parallel to each other. Mine are spaced differently at different points. After all lines were stitched, the strings were pulled tight so things were all scrunched up and then the strings were knotted.


This is after the knots were cut and the strings were pulled out.


Close-up.


I really like how this one turned out. Slightly disappointed by the fact that my teacher said how wide my stitches were apart didn't mean anything, but I think that is false and would like to try a sampler piece were the different lines had different stitch widths.



Karamatsu Shibori(Chinese Pine):
Half circles are stitched on a fold. I varied how many rows were in the half circle and how far they were spaced from each other. After all stitches are complete, all are pulled tight and knotted.









This is after it was dyed, knots cut, and strings pulled out. I really love how this one worked and will be using some of this technique in one of my final projects to show ripples in water.


Close-up.


Close-up.



Undulating Strips(no Shibori name, as it is unreadable on my sheet):
Here, wavy lines are made and stitched on a fold. Interesting to actually stitch. As with the ones above, after all stitches are made, all strings are pulled tight and knotted.


Close-up.



Dyed, knots cut, strings pulled. Oh how I really love this stitch. This will be another stitch that will be used in one of my final pieces to represent tree branches. I love how the stitches kind of look like dental records.


Close-up.



No comments:

Post a Comment