Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tie-Dye Part 2.5

More Shibori techniques.


Shippo Shibori(Interlocking Circles):
Leaf shaped ovals are drawn and stitch back and forth across the middle of the leaves from one point to the other. Strings pulled tight at end and knotted.


Close-up.

Close-up.


Close-up.



Dyes, knots cut, strings pulled. I also like this technique, so many different possibilities.


Close-up.


Close-up.


Close-up.






Maki-hui Shirbori(wrapped stitch):
Overhand stitching done, but loosely just wrapping needle over edge. If you stitch smaller, like normal it causes great frustration when trying to pull threads tight, trust me, I know. The three rows on the far left where especially annoying to pull tight, almost impossible.



Dyed, knots cut, and threads pulled. I really like how this reminds me of a spine. Very interesting. Or the tread of a tire.


Close-up.





Kheto Shibori:
Just stitch a design snugly into layers of the fabric, mine was accordion folded. No pulling stitches this time, but knotting is still important.



Mixed feelings about how it turned out. The halo type effect could have uses in certain things. I think this deserves more samples in different designs, foldings, and amount of time left in dye bath.


Close-up.

Boumaki, Mura-kumo Shibori(Village Cloud):
Here the fabric was folded in half and stitched into a long tube. Then it was put over a PVC pipe, string was wrapped tightly around it in a pattern and then pushed down to the bottom of the pipe in a twisting motion. No before picture because I forgot to bring my camera to class.


Close-up.




I was nervous about this last technique and had serious doubts as to whether or not this was going to look like crap, but I really love how it turned out. This will also probably be a technique used in one of my final projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment