Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tie-Dye Part 3

This one was clamping. For the first one I used a wooden shape that I designed to be clamped. Two identical wood pieces are need, one of the top of the folded fabric and one for the bottom. They are then literally clamped together with clamps from the tool department and then dropped in dye.


Since my shape was so thin and had different little "legs", I really needed more clamps than that were available to me. I know for in the future now. This technique will probably be used in one of my final projects.


Close-up.




Here we had to fold the fabric in any way we wanted and then use two straight pieces of wood and rubber band them onto the folded fabric. Mine turned out exactly how I wanted to for the most part.


Close-up.




Lastly over dyeing using the binding techniques in part 1. I bound this one and dyed it yellow. I didn't completely care for how it turned out so I bound it again in some of the same places and then used clothes pins another area and redyed it in red. Love how it turned out.


Close-up.




Overall, definitely loving this class. I think I am the only one truly interested in learning these techniques and not just looking for an easy A, but that is the loss of the other students. One girl in class even said that this class makes her feel like an old lady. *eyes roll* Children.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Nice to find your blog and see so many facets of fiber art. Your shibori fabric is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for sharing your shibori!

    ReplyDelete