Monday, September 21, 2009

A Gifting Concern

My birthday is coming up here in a couple weeks. My mother and my little sister, Echo sent my presents early. We will talk about most of them on Friday, as they are Food working items. But, my mother sent me this sweater that she made.







I like bright colors, but not so many all together. Not much of a rainbow person.

Any who, so the question is one of receiving a gift. When you receive a gift, is it now yours to change, so it fits you better as a person? Or should it be kept as is? I know my mother spent a lot of time and hard work on this sweater. So if I love the sweater, which I do. I have pretty much worn it every day around the house since I got it and even fell asleep in it a couple of times. Is it okay to make it more me and over-dye it? So I will love the color enough to wear it outside? Just wanted some opinions from people. If you gave someone a gift, would you be okay with it if they changed it to fit their personality better?

6 comments:

  1. Ooh...that's a tough one. Depends a lot on your Mom, I think. I can say that I got a beautiful hand-knitted sweater about 5 years ago that just isn't my color. I love it, I love the fact that it was made for me, and I have never worn it. With that in mind, I have to vote to change it to fit you. I would want someone to overdye my knitting if it made it more usable, but that's a touchy and personal issue. It looks like a great sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom wouldn't mind... I think she just wants you to get the most use out of it so it doesn't just sit in a closet. Color combo's of what people would like is a tricky thing. I would have pegged you for probably liking that combo :) Once a gift is yours, it is yours to do what you want with. Least that is how my mind works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish my mom could make me a sweater. I would always think of her whenever wearing it. For those days that I miss her immensely, it could cuddle me with a big hug. The colors are so cheery that it might really brighten your mood on a sad day.
    Either way, what a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that when someone gives you a gift it is yours to do with what you want, I personally think you look very pretty in it, but if there are ways to make it so that you get more use out of it that is ok, or possibly you could wait until Christmas and your mom might make you another one in colors that you would wear outside, then you will have an inside sweater and an outside sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would keep it just as it is, use it as a comfort blanket. It came from your mum so wear it to snuggle in and keep warm on chilly evenings curled up on the sofa just as you would have done in your baby blanket, which also came from your mum.

    ReplyDelete