Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

So remember a couple weeks ago on a Sunday, I listed this Cranberry Upside Down Cake as an inspiration.

Well, I tried it:

DSC05270

It was delicious! A couple changes I would make, a little less sugar, and I would probably use this amount of dough to make 2 since I don't have a bundt pan, plus I like more fruit compared to cake.

Here is my gluten free adaptation:

2 cups dried whole cranberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour (I used Arrowhead Mills, personally this is one of the most "all-purpose" gluten free flours I have found)
1 tsp xanthan gum (needed in gluten-free recipes for flour to rise more)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 1/4 cup sugar, divided (didn't lower sugar, to see how it worked, but would most likely cut some next time)
3 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cup whole milk


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Rub the bottom and sides pan with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon.  Next sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. (I ended up throwing out half of this mixture because it was just too much . . .in the end, I still think it might be excessive to do this step at all). Arrange the cranberries in a single layer on top of the sugar mixture.
3. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together.  Set aside.
4. Cream butter with fork.  Next slowly add 1 3/4 cup sugar.  Beat until mixture is fluffy.
5. Crack eggs in a separate bowl and then add them to the butter/sugar mixture one at a time.
6. Add the vanilla to the milk.
7. Next alternating between the flour and milk, starting with the flour, mix 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture.  Followed by 1/2 of the milk.  Alternating until everything is thoroughly mixed together.
8. Put the batter into the pan.  (Like I mentioned above, this is really enough cake batter to make two thin cakes and really get a better fruit to cake ratio).  Bake the cake for approx. 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.  Let the cake cool.

4 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! I love cranberries pretty much any way, though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to try this! You're the second person to make one and give it good marks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you tried eating gluten recently or are you still sticking with a gluten free diet.

    ReplyDelete