Sunday, March 1, 2009

Experiment

So, with my sister wanting headbands I was trying an experiment to see if weaving them would actually be quicker and look better than knitting them. Experiment is not finished, but I think it is looking nice. I am using one of the yarns she got me, the Fortissima Socka yarn. I am also using my beading loom, since my large loom would cause too much waste on a project like this, but might be worth it if I tend to make a lot of them, which we shall see.






I need to get some small shuttles though, right now I am using stiff paper as a shuttle and not working out the way I would like.


In other news, I made some food the boy seems to like. He really loves banana bread, so since we had a few bananas that were not longer looking their best, I made him some banana bread using my grandma's bread book. Even I thought it tasted okay (Not a very big fan of banana bread, even though I love bananas). So I thought I would share the recipe.







The Book of Bread by Judith & Evan Jones (1982)
Banana Bread (pg. 212)

Makes one 9" loaf

Cream 4 tablespoons(1/2 stick) of butter with 3/4 cup sugar. Add 3 bananas, peeled and roughly chopped. Mash together or put in food processor. (I just mashed it together) Beat in 1 egg and 1/3 cup of yogurt(wasn't prepared for the yogurt part so I used 1/3 cup of vanilla yogurt).

In a separate bowl mix 2 cups white flour, 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of table salt, and 1 cup chopped pecans (I didn't have any nuts, so I skipped that part). After mixed, add wet ingredient mixture and stir until all flour is moistened. Turn the batter into a buttered 9" loaf pan(I used PAM spray) and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes before turning out and cooling.




Here is what is left from yesterday afternoon when I made it, just half the loaf, so I guess he likes it. Which is a big thing for me, cause he's not particularly a fan of may cooking in general.

1 comment: