Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ellie's Striped Sweater

I challenged myself to make my niece, Ellie, a striped sweater. She's multi-sized and I was hoping to make a sweater that would fit her better than the ones off the shelf, but it just seems her speed at growing supersedes my knitting/designing speed.

Yarn:Knit Picks Shine Sport
Color: Cosmopolitan & Black
Content: 60% Pima Cotton & 40% Modal
Care: Machine Wash & Tumble Dry Low
Needles: US 3 / 3.25 mm
Gauge : 6.5sts /1" 8rows/1"
Size: 2T length / 4T width

Used the Contiguous Method (Rav Link), but more stuck to some instructions on a blog that doesn't seem to exist now, unfortunately.  It's similar to raglan in some ways, but it is suppose to make less of a break in the design and the slant of the shoulders is suppose to be more in line with the slant of an actual humans shoulders.



Here is a front view, the style makes a bit of a slanted shoulder, but I think mine should slant less.
Photobucket

The back.
Photobucket

Here are the false buttons.  They are just there for looks, they aren't functional.
Photobucket

Inside are the snaps, which how it really comes together.
Photobucket

I sewed pink ribbon on with black thread to stick with the black and pink theme.
Photobucket

The ribbon is a little wonky because it was a little difficult for me to get the knitted fabric not to stretch.
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

I love how the inside looks and am thinking about make a sweater that is inside out for the color.
Photobucket

Wookie thinks pink and black look wonderful on him!
Photobucket





Overall, babies just grow too fast! I love a good challenge though and am thinking up the next attempt!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. We got the box today and....... It still fits. She loves playing with the buttons. I love the snaps, so easy to quickly close. Thanks for all the goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! That's an impressive FO. Love the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pink and black together! (And for me, that's saying something...) I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fabulous job with the ribbon edging! Sewing on knitting is a beast and that's about as perfect as t gets! :D Loved the project.

    Jumped over here to check out your blog due to a review of "Old School Knitting" book. Thanks for the details and the honesty. I'm also not a fan of such form fitting outfits, they are tough to wear. It's a great book for the work-out crowd or those blessed with perfect middles, that's not most of us. And, BTW, the original time in which most of those patterns were created were the days of girdles after all! I know, I was eternally grateful to never, ever, wear one again! :D
    --elizaduckie

    ReplyDelete