Wednesday, February 15, 2012

John's Socks

Everything seems to be a winding path. The test-knit I will show tomorrow was for me at first, but the large women's size was too big for me, so I decided to rip out the pink I was working with and knit the socks for my brother-in-law, John, because I still wanted to test the socks. Since now one else had mentioned them being to big, I figured it was just me. So, I mentioned it on the discussion so the designer would know why I restarted. Then, some others mentioned that, yes, they too were having issues with it being too big. So the designer redid her numbers and has a smaller version of large.

So, I had started them for me in pink, ripped them out, started again in blue for John, and then ripped them out again to start in pink for the adjusted smaller large. Ah, but I still wanted to knit John a pair of socks . . . serendipitously the new Interweave Knits, Spring 2012 arrived in my mail box. I love the Kellswater Socks with their gansey-inspired appearance.

I have made a few adjustments. My version is top down, will have a heel flap, and doesn't include the anchor chart, just the diamond/cable - which has been adjusted to accommodate my total of 76 stitches. Not very far in, but I really like the ribbing for this sock so far.




Photobucket







Yarn : JoAnn's Sensations Bamboo & Ewe
Color : Turquoise
Content : 40% Wool, 30% Nylon, 15% Rayon
Care : Machine Wash
Needles : US 1 / 2.25mm (KnitPicks 47" Circular)
Pattern : Modified version of Kellswater Socks, Rav Link
Modifications: Top down, heel flap, modified version of diamond/cable chart to fit 76 stitches, and no anchor chart used.

3 comments: