Friday, September 3, 2010

Food Friday - Gluten-free Cracker Crust

I've been wanting a fruit dessert for a while, but I can never seem to make up my mind on what I want to use as the base. I can't use a lot of things I use to. I never, ever, ever was a fan of graham cracker crust. In fact, never liked graham crackers, I know atrocious! I chock this up to my body trying to tell me about my gluten issues.

So I decided to try a fruit pudding pie with a cracker crust. My crust was made with this Graham Cracker Crust recipe, but instead of graham crackers I used gluten free animal cookies!


Photobucket

The recipe says to use a blender/food processor, however, I do a lot of my cooking later in the day, since the weather has been so hot. So I crushed my animal cookies in a plastic bag by using the back of a fork.
Photobucket

A cup and a half of crushed cookies!
Photobucket

This is mixed with the other ingredient and put in the pie pan.
Photobucket

After baking . . . mine baked for about 12 minutes since I only did the bottom it was thicker.
Photobucket

I mixed up Vanilla instant pudding with whole milk. The box suggested pouring it directly onto the crust before refrigerating, so I did. (forgot to take picture!) After pudding turned solid I added blueberries and cut up strawberries!
Photobucket


Photobucket




Overall : the gluten free cookies do not need even close to that much butter, they just can't absorb all of it. I will definitely make this again, but probably with half the amount of butter. Otherwise, it was delicious and the flavor of the cookies worked wonderfully with it!

4 comments:

  1. Glad it worked out well. I love graham cracker crusts. I like to just eat it before it cooks. Just the crumbs, butter, and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely! I usually use less butter for crumb crusts than the recipe suggests...

    ReplyDelete
  3. High marks on presentation *giggle*, really it looks very yummy!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! I've never thought of using animal crackers for a crust, but I bet they'd be really good.

    ReplyDelete