Monday, April 2, 2012

Spiral Shawl Test Knitting

I am test knitting the Spiral Shawl for Erica. I am doing a couple version of it because I think it will make a nice shawl, but to also get additional data because I cannot get the gauge required. Which isn't abnormal and one of the things that causes me problems when trying to test knit, so unfortunately I am not as much good to Erica as I could be.

As you'll be able to see, desired gauge is 8sts/1" and 9.25rows/1".

Version 1:
Yarn: Knit Picks Shadow Lace
Color: Basalt Heather
Content: 100% Merino

Yarn: Knit Picks Bare Shadow Lace
Color: Bare and Purple-Blue that I dyed previously
Content: 100% Merino

Needles: US 0

Gauge: 11sts/1" and 14rows/1" (too many stitches all directions)



I am doing 20 rows gray, 2 rows white, 6 rows purple/blue, and then 2 rows white.
Photobucket

I like the way it is working, since it is at such a smaller gauge and I am doing a second one, I am going by the measurement goals with this one instead of the numbered rows.
Photobucket

And it feels so lovely soft.
Photobucket







Version 2:

Yarn: Beehive Scotch Fingering
Color: Beige, Yellow(dyed with Wiltons), and Orange(dyed with Wiltons)
Content: 100% Wool

Needles: US 2

Gauge: 7.75sts/1" and 11rows/1" (too few stitches and too many rows) This equals out to my shawl being 1" longer than the pattern estimates for row 70.



I am loving the color on this, I originally was going to use more colors, but liked the way these were working too much to add more to them.
Photobucket

In this one each section equals 20 rows.  1st section is 20 rows beige, 2nd is 4 rows yellow, 4 rows orange, and 12 rows beige, 3rd is 6 rows yellow, 6 rows orange, and 8 rows beige and will be so on throughout the actual sections of the pattern.
Photobucket

Love the vintage look that the colors create.
Photobucket

The double increase used in this pattern is one I have never used before and I love the way it works, it doesn't pull the fabric oddly.  I think I am going to try this increase when I try my next top with the contiguous method.
Photobucket

I am at the end of the first section right now and am ready to start Section A.
Photobucket




As you can see, I am enjoying these as I am making decent progress on both of them.

4 comments:

  1. Neat!! I don't mind stranded knitting on a larger scale... I'll have to flag that pattern when it is released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! More data is always good, gauge or no gauge. =)
    I didn't realize you'd decided to start a second...I can't decide which I like better. I love the way the blue stripe pops out of that brown, but then I also really like the orange and oatmeal combination. Fun!

    ReplyDelete