Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The beginnings of John's scarf

John’s Scarf
My brother-in-law, John, would like a scarf for next year. I love that he likes hand made things, any who, he wanted it in the Seahawks’ lime green color. The man is a little over 6 foot, there is no way I was going to knit an almost 7 foot scarf solely in lime green. After all, I don’t even like to knit scarves.

So I am making him something I am going to enjoy knitting, an illusion scarf in the lime green and dark blue of the Seahawks. This will be my first real illusion knitting. I have even charted my own letters. It’s been a lot of fun designing this. The yarn I need is on order however, so my test swatch to make sure I was charting it correctly is done in some other colors . . . purple and pink! Any who, I enjoyed doing the test swatch of the letter S and think that this scarf not only isn’t going to be so bad, it might just be a rather enjoyable knit!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



I have all the other letters charted out and have all my stuff figured out, just had to wait for the yarn to arrive! It arrived the 31st. Which here it is. It was really hard to find a good lime green color in any type of yarn, but this works well because it'll be easy to care for.

Photobucket

Even harder was finding a good lime green in a brand that also had a good deep blue! So thankful Caron Simply Soft had it, since I am a huge fan of their yarn too.

Photobucket

Here is the beginning of the scarf. The first 12 inches will be regular stripes. I am really liking the way these two colors work together. I will most likely have a nice chunk of yarn left over and have a few ideas running through my head for these colors.

Photobucket




Since this is a long project and isn't needed to be finished until November/December of this year, it will be a nice project to work here and there on. I am excited that this is something I designed and will be making.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm - very interesting project. I should suggest something similar to my girls for the hubby. He's an Eagles fan - which is funny when you consider we live in Seattle. Seahawks abound. Nice colors you came up with. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! When I first brought up your post I thought "Wow I hope something is wrong with her camera".... Until I started reading and saw the pink and purple was a tester! I was thinking okay sure he isn't scared to show his sensitive side but I am not sure I can get him in a pink and purple scarf!!! The real colors look good though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likewise... I started reading in reader and thought, "There's a tint problem here" and switched over to get the rest of the story... Giggle. Right now, the Knight MIGHT wear a pink and purple scarf, if someone made it for him with his girls in mind, but even then, I'm just not sure he'd wear pink and purple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOO very nice! I can't wait to devote some time to your knitty post and really take a good look!
    You have such an eye for things I don't seem to see. (the possibilities and the problems)
    Take care
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete