Friday, August 13, 2010

Food Friday - Gluten Free Meatloaf

I have had a craving for meatloaf. So I searched the web and found this recipe. It sounded good and yet a little unusual. I have never made meatloaf with milk in it, but hey, anything is worth one go round, right?

Karen from Fab Grandma Meatloaf Recipe (my slightly altered version):
1.25 lb ground meat - I used pork, turkey, and beef (equal parts)
1/2 cup oatmeal ( I decreased the amount oats because they give me horrendous heartburn)
1 cup 1% milk
1 egg
1/2 onion, chopped ( less onion because the husband is not as big of an onion fan)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (I used 1/2, instead of 1/4 just because I love pepper)
No sage because there wasn't any in my cupboard.

Mix all ingredients together, I am a firm believe that your hands will do a better job than any mixing utensil. Place in an ungreased pan, mine was approx 8x8.

Topping sauce:

½ cup catsup
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix together well and spread on top of meatloaf.

Bale at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.



I was delighted to find that Lea & Perrins is gluten-free. I am a HUGE fan of Worcestershire sauce and am so glad to have found this.
Photobucket

The oats that I used were also gluten free.
Photobucket


The following are the meats I used, I always try to use meats with a low fat content.
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Here are all the main ingredients mixed together and placed in the ungreased pan.
Photobucket


Mixed up the sauce, as you can tell, not all of my brown sugar wanted to cooperate, but it was still wonderful tasting. I am thinking this sauce with some meatloaf meatballs would be delicious.
Photobucket

All baked up!
Photobucket

And plated with some broccoli, corn, and mashed potatoes.
Photobucket

Up close view.
Photobucket




Overall impression : This is delicious! Honestly this is probably the best meatloaf I have had even before I found out I couldn't eat gluten. I am already devising a plan to make this recipe into meatballs as I mentioned above. Super glad I decided to try this recipe. The 3 different meats together gave a wonderful blend also. I will be looking through some more of her recipes soon and trying some more stuff. I would recommend this meatloaf to everyone.

3 comments:

  1. I don't eat meatloaf, but that's basically my recipe (the Knight does eat it, so...), only I use steel cut oats.

    I think it says something about my age and my college experience when the first thing I think of when I see or hear the word meatloaf is Meatloaf...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found one you like. My recipe has milk in it. If you don't care for oats, for whatever reason, try putting in bread crumbs. That is what I do, just blend up a couple slices of bread. The oats are just a binder and work the same as bread crumbs. It took me a few tries to find a meatloaf recipe I really like, but once you find one, you hang on to. We have about three bottle of worchst. sauce, love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been able to make a good meatloaf, this looks good!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete