Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Paper Mate Flair Pen Review

I first saw a review of Paper Mate Flair Pens for embroidery in Mary Corbet's post. Sounded nifty and I figured I would get around to trying them some time.

Well, I need a good marking utensil to draw out Little Pea's circles for the Raw Edge Circle Quilt and I didn't want it to leave a mark on the white once all was said and done. The Paper Mate Flair that Mary from Needle 'n Thread tried was the fine tip. The only ones I could find were the bold colors. Still figured it was worth giving a try.

First I cut a small piece of the white and marked a line with each color:

Purple, Blue, Red/Pink, Green, Orange, Yellow
Photobucket




I let it set for 1 hour, then soaked it in some warm water :

The Purple and Blue have faded, the Red is a barbie pink, the Green has almost all washed out, the Orange is now yellow, and the Yellow is gone.
Photobucket




Lastly I tried washing it with a little dish soap :

The Purple is a faint line, the Blue is faint but looks purple, the Red is still a strong pink, the Green is gone, the Orange is still a strong yellow, and the Yellow is still gone.
Photobucket




Overall, interesting experiment. I will be cutting out circles tomorrow in the yellow pen.

3 comments:

  1. Good experiment!! So green and yellow qualifies,right? Are these more expensive than water soluble markers?
    Painting with coffee powder was a great experience.Going to try another one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so clever. I bet you swatch before you knit a fitted garment too, huh? Maybe if we hang out enough (virtually, sadly), you'll rub off on me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I would have never thought of this!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete