Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Mom's Journal 1/8/07

This is the first book I have made. I took decorative printer paper, cut it in half to make sheets that were 5.5" x 4.25". I took sections of ten pieces of paper and sewed them together on my sewing machine. When all sections were done, there were approximately 10 sections, I took a regular needle and about ever half inch went and sewed the sections together, going through the holes that the sewing machine had already made. I used cardboard for the the cover pieces. Covered them with fabric. On the inside there are two pieces of paper on both the front and back which are glued down to connect the paper sections to the cardboard. First a piece of paper like the ones inside, then a red one glued down over it to match the cover color instead of matching the paper inside. I hand sewed a button onto the front, through the cardboard and attached a piece of elastic under the back inside so that together they can be used as a closure.






Front picture. Click thumbnails to see larger pictures.





Inside the cover.





Paper inside the journal. The lines were printed on there from my printer.





Closing button.





Bottom view of journal.

I definitely enjoyed making this and for my first handmade book it turned out much better than I thought it would. I will definitely be making more. Kind of addicting. After making this one successfully other ideas have been invading my mind. Comments and Critiques are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment