Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Spindles and Yarn 10/28/07

Shortly after a started spinning I decided to try and make my own spindle, after all, it didn't seem too difficult. No particular reason, I am one of those people who try to do it just to see if I actually can. Anyhow, I ended up loving it and only use my previous spindle for plying purposes, because I can spin much smaller singles on my home-made one.

Here is my spindle, made from a thin wooden disk, dowel, and a cup hook. Learned the hard way with the first dowel and cup hook that I needed to drill most of the hole first cause the first dowel split. I stained it green and that is all the decoration I did to it. I didn't show it earlier because I was waiting for a time when it didn't have anything on it, but I came to realize that I use it too much for that to occur.












Another spindle, not made by me, my mother purchased it and gave it to me for my birthday. I have to admit, when I was going through the back entries I couldn't understand why everyone thought a top whirl was so nifty as I loved my bottom whirls. However, after using this one, it does seem to spin a little longer than my home-made one and quite a bit longer than my heaver original one from a kit. I also love the little notch in the side and the fact that I don't have to wind the single all the way up the shaft.






And lastly some newly spun yarn. It is in a ball, not a skein, but I still think the colors show well. One single was a purple and blue variegated and the other single was a light purple. I love the way it turned out.







Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment